Sunday, July 18, 2010

RECIPE/RECETTE: WHOLE EGG MAYONNAISE


Whole Egg Mayonnaise
When I arrived in France, mayonnaise sans mustard was sometimes difficult to find. I add a bit of  dijon or grain mustard (moutard à l'ancienne), if I wanna feel oh, so french.

1 egg from Madame Lapin's farm
a good pinch to a 1/4 tsp. salt
a good pinch to 1/8 tsp paprika
a gooder pinch to a h. 1/4 tsp of white pepper
a scant 1/2 cup sunflower, colza or grapeseed oil
@ 1 T lemon juice (a squigh from half a lemon)

Everything at room temperature, please. Let the magic begin...



Use hand mixer: blend egg, salt, paprika, pepper. 1 small blop of oil, mix. Then another blop of oil, mix. And another small blop of oil, mix. After the third blop, the mixture should be starting to give.
Then, start slowly pouring in the oil. No more than a 1/2 cup of oil has been fine for me - more and it tastes like oil, blech. When everyone is peaked and happy, squeeze in the lemon juice and blend.
Keeps for about one week. Voila.

You can use regular pepper, white pepper has a slight wacky warmth to it that black pepper lacks.

Sarah B makin' mayo:



Recipes on Pedaler probably only make sense to me. They are here so I don't forget what I did. If you
can comprehend my scratch-notes, yay for you! Ask if you have questions.

1 comment:

Flori said...

...or as Robert would notate in a recipe "FGWP"