Tuesday, June 22, 2010

FAITES DE LA MUSIQUE

Fête de la Musique is a free music festival taking place on the longest day of the year, June 21st. Its purpose is to encourage both amateur and professional musicians to perform on the streets together, and basically everyone have a groovy time. These all night extended music block parties have been going on in France since 1982 and now can be found all over the world, even in Pasadena!

It's a wonderful thing really. Sometimes known to get out of hand, but for the most part, people are there to have a good time.



So, o.k. I'll say it again, I am not in Paris. It's not as if Lionel Richie or Sting are gonna pop into 'ol Thionville and do a set. I heard some really, really bad rap last night (sorry my sweets, but the kids behind the stage? They had the moves, air mics and all...), and probably the worst rendition of Shout in my life. And what's with all the Franklin & Marshall get-ups? wow, like totally boring...

But for the most part, the music was eclectic enough to be interesting; not just a bunch of screaming wanna-be acid rock guitar players. There were liturgical chants, djembé drums, jazz, rock, french blues and reggae.

 

I think for me though, the pearl of the night was an avant punk band by the name of Uz Jsme Doma. Totally amazing. Together going on 25 years, Uz Jsme Doma (Czech for Now I Get It) are powerful, tight, and have a complete understanding of who they are and what they want to say.  It was great watching toddlers jump up and down like true punkers while these men played - made me wanna weep...





So, o.k.. I'll say it again. I am not in Paris and this chick, Carmen Maria Vega, was not at the Thionville fête, nor Lionel, nor Sting. But I had to share this clip with you because besides the voice, I love her pants. If I were 50 lbs lighter I would be like so into those pants, it would make you sit up and burn your boring Franklin & Marshall get-up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice :-)

Anonymous said...

learned a lot

Anonymous said...

Cool post to my mind. Thank you for posting this info.

Brand Writeman
radio jammer